From Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada:

Is severe abdominal pain associated with diabetes? My son has Down Syndrome, autism and type 1 diabetes, and I am concerned about his crying outbursts. His sugars have not yet stabilized and he fluctuates between 13 mmol/L [234 mg/dl] and 20 mmol/L [360 mg/dl]. He normally has a very high pain tolerance and does not cry without real reasons.

It is unlikely that the sugars are causing the abdominal pains, although there are some children more prone to such discomfort with such excursions. I would be sure that he does not have any thyroid problems or celiac disease. Both are more common in type 1 diabetes and also both more common in Down Syndrome. These could be associated with abdominal discomfort. Also, some of the sugar free products, especially those with sugar alcohols like sorbitol or xylitol, cause belly aches and diarrhea so this could also be a possible culprit to consider.

Posted to Aches and Pains