From Henderson, Nevada, USA:

My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 one month ago. I am wondering how many carbohydrates per meal she should be eating. I have noticed her putting on weight and looking "puffy."

Sometimes, shortly after diagnosis and beginning insulin therapy, weight gain is common, since blood sugars are coming under control and the food that your daughter is eating is not being wasted. I would schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. He/she can develop an individualized meal plan that is specific to your child's caloric needs, food likes/dislikes, insulin regimen, etc. Ask your physician if you need a referral to a registered dietitian. Good luck with meal planning.