Question:

From Henderson, Nevada, USA:

My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 one month ago. I am wondering how many carbohydrates per meal she should be eating. I have noticed her putting on weight and looking "puffy."

Answer:

Sometimes, shortly after diagnosis and beginning insulin therapy, weight gain is common, since blood sugars are coming under control and the food that your daughter is eating is not being wasted. I would schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. He/she can develop an individualized meal plan that is specific to your child's caloric needs, food likes/dislikes, insulin regimen, etc. Ask your physician if you need a referral to a registered dietitian. Good luck with meal planning.

JMS