From Los Angeles, California, USA:

My son is on an insulin pump and has very good control. He plays on a high level baseball team and exercises every day. He has had diabetes less than a year. He used to be very limber, but now his muscles are unbelievably tight (I have never seen anyone as tight as him). He can't even come close to touching his toes. Is this a result of diabetes? Also, he is a pitcher and throws often. Is he more at risk of developing tendonitis than his other non-diabetic teammates?

As we age, it is common to become less limber. This does not occur in young people and diabetes less than a year has absolutely no effect on flexibility.

An individual with uncontrolled diabetes over many years may have some increased risk of tendonitis. The theory is that chronic high blood sugar causes an increase in glycosylation or glucose in the blood. This state may lead to increase tendonitis in individuals with diabetes.

The best way to increase flexibility is to do a general warm up then stretch the muscle for 30 seconds, two to three times before activity. For problem areas, it is best to stretch immediately following exercise since the muscle is already warm. A warm muscle will stretch longer with less risk of injury.

Posted to Aches and Pains