Question:

From India:

I get somewhat acute hypoglycemic type effects when my glucose levels fall from a previous much higher level but still well above normal range, say from 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] to 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. As such, can one become tolerant or habituated to persistent hyperglycemia for long and get somewhat withdrawal type effects?

Answer:

Some people do have symptoms of hypoglycemia when their blood sugar falls rapidly, but it is not absolutely low (less than 70mg/dl [3.9 mmol/L]). I would be concerned that your overall blood sugar control is not good. You would have to stay high to be having symptoms above 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. I would recommend you speak with your doctor about ways to intensify your blood sugar control. With good control, you should be able to normalize your response to hypoglycemia.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Hypoglycemia