From San Antonio, Texas, USA:

I have a four year old daughter who was diagnosed in August 2004. Even though that was quite a while ago, I still get confused sometimes on when I need to give her NovoLog. I was told it should be within an hour after she eats. On several occasions, I did that and about an hour later, her sugar was low. I have another child also so I'm not sure if it's just because she plays with her or if I shouldn't have given her the amount of insulin given. I've read a lot of information and still can't seem to figure it out.

In most cases, rapid acting insulin (Humalog, NovoLog or Apidra) should be given at the time of the meal -- or in small children, immediately after the meal. If you are unsure of how to dose or give the insulin, you would certainly benefit from sitting down with a diabetes educator to complete some comprehensive diabetes education. Please contact your diabetes physician and get this arranged.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Insulin