Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

Ever since as far back as I can remember in my childhood, I would feel tired, sleepy (I would fall asleep anywhere I went), anxious, and unfocused. It was not until about two and a half years ago that I almost fainted while driving my car after having a hot dog and parcha juice for lunch and without having eaten breakfast. I stopped and drank a soda and I realized that my body recovered instantly from my symptoms, but shortly after I would feel them again. I had all the laboratory tests the doctors ordered and followed their orders in a strict fashion. I didn't feel any better, but I did feel that there was a direct correlation between the symptoms I felt and the food I was consuming. Some of the symptoms were shakiness, anxiety, nervousness, tremors, palpitations, tachycardia, sweating, feeling of warmth, hunger, abdominal discomfort, anxiety, moodiness, irritability, fatigue, weakness, sleep, apathy, lethargy, confusion, memory loss, dizziness, difficulty speaking, and slurred speech.

Presently, I'm taking 75 mg of acarbose (Precose) before each meal (consisting of proteins and certain vegetables). I'm eating snacks (protein), and doing exercise almost every day. I have felt better ever since, but I can't consume any carbohydrates that are not the vegetables I'm eating, basically broccoli, green beans and okra. (i.e., eating "tostones" would make my body react very badly; like shaking, sweating, trembling, among others; eating rice and beans would make me feel dizzy and confused, similar to what I would feel if I were hung over). Where do I go from here?

Answer:

You are already doing a lot of the things that we recommend for reactive hypoglycemia. It sounds like you have improved, but have not totally gotten rid of the symptoms. Try it a bit longer, if you can. You are working to make your body more insulin responsive. This will lower circulating insulin levels and, hopefully, make you less likely to have the symptoms. The only thing I can say about the consumption of any carbohydrates is to make sure you eat them with fiber or your meal, as simple carbohydrate snacks would be most likely to generate the symptoms.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Hypoglycemia