Question:

From Germany:

My 13 year old nephew has been hospitalized several times during the last four years due to his blood sugar going up and down. His blood sugar level has yet to become stabilized. My sister has adopted several animals over the years and now has five cats and four dogs living in the house. I wonder if the animals may be the cause of my nephew's constant ailments. He has had numerous colds, strep throat, and appendicitis. My sister will not listen to my advice about getting rid of the animals. I'm hoping that if I could find some conclusive evidence stating too much animal dander is not good for a juvenile diabetic, then, maybe she will listen. Her family lives in Phoenix, Arizona.

Answer:

I'm unaware of any association between animals, animal dander and difficult control of type 1 diabetes.