Question:

From Delanson, New York, USA:

My 13-year-old daughter has had diabetes for eight and a half years. Should she have dad a protein screen done by now?

Answer:

There is no set time for doing such protein screens, usually microalbumin, determinations. Most of us do them around the time of puberty and that is the general recommendation from chapters that I have written and lectures that I have done and is similar to most recommendations from ADA, ISPAD, etc. Most of us do them with an overnight sample, although the original research used 24 hour collections; the 24 hour samples are difficult to collect correctly, however. Some also do them on "spot" samples measuring microalbumin to creatinine ratios. If you have some concerns or are just worried, you should discuss this with your diabetes team and they can get the test done quite easily.