Question:

From Damascus, Maryland, USA:

I recently learned of the OmniPod pump system and it looks really good on paper. We are in the process of moving our daughter to a pump in lieu of injections and have some questions. Is the OmniPod currently used by any children around the age of eight? What are some of the drawbacks or complaints you have heard of associated with use of this pump system?

Answer:

I have not seen the device used in a child this young.

To me, the biggest drawback is that the "pump" (the "Pod") is separate from the programming module, which is the PDA-like device.

I have enough children who "forget" their glucometers at school, friends', grandparents' etc. A meter is easily replaced and is cheap. The PDA is neither.

So, as with any pump, families must go in with eyes wide open to find the device that is best for THEM.

(I've probably written this before, but I liken deciding on a pump similarly to the decision to buy a new car. Depending on what you want that car to do for, it will influence what style, type, and features you want. For example, a Corvette is a cool car, but not practical to haul stuff on your ranch, where a pick up might be much better.)

[Editor's comment: I know of a six year old girl who recently started using the device. Apparently, she has no discomfort. Her mom is pleased with the device. Since she has been using it for only a few weeks, I do not know anything about its efficacy. BH]

Posted to Insulin Pumps