Question:

From Birmingham, Alabama, USA:

Thanks for addressing my original question about my newly diagnosed diabetes. In response to your questions about treatment, I currently have none. All I was told by my general practitioner, who is working part time and about to retire, is that I should see an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes.

My doctor seemed very aggressive about tests after my fasting glucose and elevated A1c, but when my antibody tests came back negative, he was much less concerned. He didn't even give me a name of a doctor to see. I found someone who was recommended to me, and for three weeks, have been trying to get a referral. Apparently, my insurance doesn't require a referral, but the endocrinologist requires my doctor's office to make the appointment for me. Unfortunately, I have little faith in my doctor's staff after multiple mishaps. I finally got a call yesterday from my doctor's office confirming an appointment. The earliest that doctor can see me is January 30.

In the meantime, I put myself on a strict, anti-carbohydrate diet, which is difficult since I am a vegetarian. I now only monitor every now and then because the numbers depress me. I had hoped they would come down with the diet change, but they haven't. Even when I don't eat during the day, they creep up. I thought that running would keep them down, but it has had the opposite effect. My numbers skyrocket after a run even though I have always heard that exercise was supposed to bring them down. Symptoms that were intermittent and easily dismissed have become very apparent and my vision is affecting my work as a graphic designer. It's all a little disheartening, but I see my regular general practitioner for another appointment and A1c test on January 15. Since my doctor isn't too concerned, I'm telling myself to do what I can and relax about it.

If you have any suggestions of things I can do in the meantime to keep my blood sugars down, I would be grateful. I also wonder what glucose number is high enough that it should cause concern. My numbers go up pretty high, but since they eventually go down, I'm assuming it's okay.

Answer:

I would recommend you go back to your primary care physician and recommend a therapy that can address the high blood sugars that exist now and that might hold off the more severe symptoms until the endocrinologist sees you. It seems reasonable to treat the high blood sugars now and not wait, while you remain more and more symptomatic.