Question:

From Bedford, Texas, USA:

I have seven kids, ages two to nine and I was worried about my kids having some random blood sugars over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] so I had their A1cs done. Oldest to youngest, they were 6.1, 6.2, 5.8, 6.6, 6.3, 6.8, 6.6! The doctor wasn't in today and will call us back on Monday. What in the world would you think if six out of seven kids had A1cs over 6.0?

I have had pre-diabetes for two years, diagnosed at age 31. I do not know if I ever had gestational diabetes. I've had hypoglycemia since early childhood and my last A1c was 6.4. There is no other family history of diabetes.

Answer:

I would think not too much of these values. PLEASE review other questions on this forum regarding about the Diagnosis and Symptoms of diabetes. An elevated A1c is NOT part of the definition to ESTABLISH a diagnosis of diabetes.

Now, having said that, depending on the children's diets, weights, exercise opportunities, etc., they may need some sort of further diagnostic testing or intervention.

Please talk with your pediatrician.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Diagnosis and Symptoms