Question:

From Sonora, Mexico:

I would like to have your input about where we are exactly in the effort to find a real cure for type 1 diabetes. I been reading for more than five years already in several places (web, magazines, etc.) that the cure could be found within 10 years or trials may happen in 10 years. That seems to be a magical number, but never happens and I'm still reading that something may happen in 10 years. So far, neither the artificial pancreas, stem cell therapy, xenotransplantation or others methods to find a cure seems to work. I may sound desperate, but I would like to have some real hope for my 10 year old daughter who was diagnosed at the age of four.

Answer:

You should have hope, but it is an impossible question that you ask. Science does not work in this way, but very slowly and often in a winding path. Progress continues. Basic scientists and clinical doctors work on these problems all the time. Exactly which will work and whether such options will be safe is what requires a lot of time and effort and research money. Many people around the world keep up the work, so, do not lose heart.

Posted to Research: Cure