Question:

From South Africa:

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes so a dietitian connected to the Diabetic Centre has prescribed a diet. I have been unable to contact my educator by telephone and do not have an e-mail address for the centre. The dietitian has said that for breakfast I must have cereal, muesli, porridge, etc., but when I test myself about one and a half to two hours after eating, my blood sugar is 9.5 mmol/L [171 mg/dl] or higher. Should I stop eating this way or does it not really matter?

Answer:

I really think the best thing for you to do is go back to the educator and go over your glucose logs and food diaries and learn how to adjust your meals and medicines accordingly. Diabetes education is an ongoing process. There is always more you can learn.

JS