From Michigan, USA:

What is the appropriate amount of sugar a child with type 1 should consume? Is it okay for a child to have sugary things one to three times a day? I know that the main thing to do is to count the carbohydrates and administer the correct amount of insulin to cover them, but at what point is it too much? We have been struggling with this question for over two years. I just need to know if my child can eat whatever he wants, whenever he wants, as long as his blood sugars are under control. Are these foods going to cause problems for him later in life even though his sugars are under control? How is the way we feed him today going to affect the choices he makes later in life?

Carbohydrates are the primary meal plan of choice today for kids with type 1 diabetes. This being said, it is certainly advisable that everyone, not just kids with type 1 diabetes, monitor their food and beverage choices and make healthy choices. While avoidance of all foods with sugar is not stressed, it is wise to balance occasional sweets with other more healthy choices (namely fresh fruits, whole grains, lean meats, fresh vegetables, etc.). I would recommend that you meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning, if you have not done so already. This person can individualize a meal plan that includes some of your son's favorite foods. Providing healthy food choices for your son will certainly allow him to have optimal control of his blood sugars and will likely influence the choices he makes later in life. Most kids learn healthy eating at an early age in life. Good luck with meal planning.