From Indianapolis, Indiana, USA:

My ex-wife has custody of our daughter and I am concerned about the lack of proper diabetes care my ex-wife is providing. My daughter's endocrinologist is also concerned because my daughter has been hospitalized several times with low blood sugars while under mom's care. My daughter's maternal grandparents take care of my daughter a lot since my ex-wife is often away. The grandparents have not received diabetes training even though the endocrinologist has asked them to attend. I have my daughter with me on weekends and we have not had any diabetes issues. I think, though, that I am being blamed for the improper care. I don't want to lose my daughter. What should I do?

It is difficult for me to comment on this situation with out knowing more information. I do agree with you that anyone who is taking care of your child should receive training in diabetes management, either by your child's health care team or by someone (like you or your daughter's mother) who has been trained by your child's health care team. Does your daughter's health care team know about her problems with low blood sugars? Maybe your daughter's health care team needs to make some adjustments to her insulin regimen. I don't know if you and your daughter's mother both attend your daughter's medical appointments, but if only one of you goes to these appointments, it might be helpful if you both can share your concerns and hear the health care team's advice first hand.