From DeWitt, Arkansas, USA:

My son has had type 1 diabetes for almost three years. What kind of annual testing should be done? We have our eyes checked every year, but he has not had any blood work done. Are there certain tests to do at certain times after diagnosis? I would like to know what to ask his doctor at his next appointment.

Most complications screening is recommended after 10 years of age and three to five years of diabetes. These include testing urine for microalbumin, blood drawn to check lipids, and eye exams.

It sounds like you are getting close to the time when they should start. The most important thing at this young age is the best diabetes control that you can safely achieve.