Question:

From St. Thomas, Virgin Islands:

I am 37 years old and have had diabetes for 27 years. My glucose control is very difficult as I am quite brittle. My last A1c was 11.4. I am doing my best to lose weight as I am also becoming insulin resistant and require about 100 units of insulin a day. I have retinopathy and neuropathy. My kidneys and my heart have begun to show changes. What is the life expectancy of a person with type 1 diabetes?

Answer:

The higher burden of end organ disease, the greater risk to your health and longevity. Rather than measure this out, I would encourage you to have the best outcome possible. Please see your physician and work on a plan that allows you to optimize your care. An A1c of over 11% is too high.

Posted to Complications and Other