Question:

From Greenwich, New York, USA:

I am a 28 year old type 1 diabetic who has had diabetes for 19 years. My A1cs have consistently been under 6.5 for the last several years. I have been having joint pain in two of my fingers which will be x-rayed to determine whether it is arthritis. Could this be a complication of diabetes or is it more likely to be something unrelated?

Answer:

You can develop a form of diabetes-related arthropathy where the tendon sheaths that normally allow the fingers to move easily in a back and forth manner become glycosylated and rough and can be related to trigger finger or difficulty moving the fingers. However, this requires a more formal evaluation by your physician with examination, laboratory tests, and x-rays. There are several things that can be causing this.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Complications