From Newtown, Pennsylvania, USA:

My question is regarding the use of Symlin in children with type 1 diabetes. My child has had diabetes for six years. The past couple of years, as a teenager, have been more difficult regarding blood sugar control as well as the increasing amount of insulin needed. Have you had any experience using Symlin? I am surprised to see very few questions on this forum regarding it's use. I had done some research into it and have had my child begin using, through the guidance of course of her endocrine team. It is, so far, wonderful! Her bolus insulin is cut in half, she is eating better, losing a little weight and has much better blood sugar control. She is also a serious athlete, so we moderate it's use around her exercise sessions. I am so happy to have something, finally, that is helping other than the typical responses that my child must intentionally be omitting insulin. If type 1 diabetics do not make this hormone as it is also produced in the beta cells as I understand, doesn't it stand to reason that it should become recommended for use in children? I guess I feel like because we have had success with this, I need to speak up for teens with type 1 who are always generically being accused of omitting insulin, when there could be other reasons for poor control. I feel that we have found something to really help. The problem is, I do not know of any other type 1 children trying it; most of the information out there is from adults. I don't mean to be on a soapbox, but some teens are really trying, and not getting good results. What is your experience with teens using Symlin?

To date, there is very little pediatric or adolescent experience with Symlin and no FDA approval for its use.

[Editor's comment: Our teen daughter tried using it to help prevent post-breakfast blood sugar spikes. She was told, by some adult users, that the injections would be painful. Although she was not bothered too much by the discomfort, she stopped using Symlin when it made her ill. So, while there are many positive things about Symlin, there are also negatives. Some comments on Symlin are posted on BH]

Posted to Other Medications