Question:

From Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA:

I have found information in this web site concerning type 1 diabetes and a relationship to learning disabilities. However, I can only find one question about it and there is little back-up for the answer. Can you please tell me if there is any known current research concerning this issue? I have asked our son's endocrinologist, but she is not aware of anything dealing with early onset type one diabetes and learning disabilities.

Our son is eight years old and was diagnosed at age three with type 1. Until about first grade, he seemed to be a very bright child and interested in learning. But, in first grade, he began to fall behind in reading and spelling and has had trouble with focusing on reading tasks. Can you direct me to any current research?

Answer:

There is not much research specifically on this topic. There is no definite association with type 1 diabetes. However, if there have been a lot of severe episodes of hypoglycemia, including loss of consciousness and/or convulsions, then there can be such problems. The best research on this comes from Eugen Schoenle and his research group at Children's Hospital of Zurich and Chris Ryan, Dorothy Becker, Alan Drash and their research group at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. There also is some research from the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto with Denis Daneman and colleagues as well. If you do a PubMed search on this topic and/or these authors, you should find many of these articles.