Question:

From Marlborough, Massachusetts, USA:

I am 48-year-old Caucasian female. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 in 1999 and my son tested antibody positive in 2001. Both are doing well.

I am 5 feet, 4.5 inches, 148.5 pounds. I previously weighed 169 pounds, but have stayed around 148 pounds for two years. About the time I was at my peak weight, I started to have low blood sugars, 30 mg/dl [1.7 mmol/L] to 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L], with symptoms. During this time, I modified my diet and exercised and slowly lost weight. Then, I rarely had symptoms of hypoglycemia.

Presently, I am having vision issues, a wiggly sensation in my eyes, not unlike feeling low so I tested my blood sugar and got several high reading, 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L] to 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] before I realized the strips were incorrectly coded. With the correct code for the strips, my blood sugars were 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] to 90 mg/dl [5.0 mmol/L]. I did call my doctor and got blood work, which indicated a random blood sugar of 90 mg/dl [5.0 mmol/L] and an A1c of 6.1. In the meantime, at home, I have had a few blood sugars in the 140s mg/dl [7.8 to 82 mmol/L]. Once, before eating, my blood sugar was 72 mg/dl [4.0 mmol/L]; two hours later, it was 67 mg/dl [3.8 mmol/L]

This is not making any sense to me for what I believe I know about type 1 and type 2. Can you explain further? My family practitioner has diagnosed type 2. I will be having other maintenance screenings, blood and urine with our family practitioner, plus will continue monitoring, dieting and exercising. I was told I can have a comprehensive eye test, for which I am past due, if my blood sugar is in the 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] to 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] range at the time.

Even though I have dealt well with my children for almost a decade, I feel taken aback with my own diagnosis, especially since I have lost weight gradually and maintained my weight. Now, this is rearing its ugly head!

I have been on Synthroid since 2001 for Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and have a history of carpal tunnel syndrome since 1994 with pregnancy, left with residual damage, tenditis, and other orthopedic inflammatory history, With the autoimmune history in the family, should I screen for anything else? Should I see an endocrinologist?

Answer:

Your A1c sounds a bit high. Accuracy depends on how it was measured. The other blood sugars do not sound high. The most sensitive test for diabetes would be an oral glucose tolerance test. Otherwise, you should have fasting glucose levels through your physician and not rely on fingerstick glucose determinations. They are not meant to be that precise.