From Alpharetta, Georgia, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes and my husband has type 2. What are the chances that our child, age six, could develop diabetes? She has been having mood swings and is urinating on herself to the point that the school talked to us on Friday, concerned about her health and possible diabetes. What are the normal range for blood sugars for a child this age? She tested 132 mg/dl [7.3 mmol/L] with a home glucose meter. Should that warrant a visit to the doctor or are we overreacting?

Although, 132 mg/dl [73 mmol/L] is too high, AFTER eating or with some stress with the blood glucose testing, this could still be normal. I would do some immediately before meal and one hour post-meal blood glucose readings for two or three days, without changing any food or snacks, and this will tell you what range she is running. The excess urination is definitely abnormal, so you should contact your medical care team for an evaluation not only for diabetes but also vaginal and/or bladder infections. Her general risk with a first degree relative (sibling) with diabetes is about 2 to 5%. Your diabetes team can order special antibody tests to help assess her specific risk.

[Editor's comment: For additional information, see Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. BH]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Genetics and Heredity