From Hayle Cornwall, United Kingdom:

My son's doctor wants my son to get tested for diabetes by means of a blood test. My son is only nine, so I was wondering if there were any other way of doing this test.

There are several ways to SCREEN for diabetes including:

1. a urine test for glucose;

2. a fingerstick drop of blood for glucose (typically done fasting first thing in the morning);

3. a genuine, from the vein, blood draw (also typically done fasting).
However, #1 is the WORST and LEAST RELIABLE of these; furthermore, if there is glucose, you have to do #2 or #3 (preferably #3) anyway. The second choice, is a reasonable screen but, if elevated, you will have to progress to #3. (If this test is high, it may also need to be confirmed, but it would likely be in conjunction with other tests.)

I do not know why you sound so resistant to getting a simple blood test for your son, but #3 is the most reliable and most specific.