From Oak Ridge, Tennessee, USA:

My son has had type 1 diabetes since March 2006. He is on an insulin pump and doing well with it. He recently has been started on Trileptal for seizures. He has had two seizures that were unrelated to his diabetes. Will the Trileptal effect his blood sugars? Since he started it two days ago, his blood sugars have been in the 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L ] to 300 mg/dl [16/7 mmol/L] range. We give him a correction and it goes down, but soon comes back up. Is this a side effect of the Trileptal?

In my review, Trileptal can have some effect on blood sugars. Specifically, it was associated with occasional low blood sugars during trials. I would recommend reviewing your specific information with your physician to see if a insulin dose adjustment may be helpful to you.

Posted to Other Medications and Hyperglycemia and DKA