Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from February 2007

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | Nov 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I've had diabetes for two years, take insulin and have good control. I don't like taking insulin. Can I live without taking it? (28 Feb 2007)

2. About 18 months ago, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I have since lost 30 pounds, but felt symptomatic for diabetes. The doctor did a fasting blood glucose test that was normal so I was told I needed no follow-up until next year. Still, should I ask for a GTT? (28 Feb 2007)

3. I have a student with diabetes who misbehaves in class and is very disruptive. His mom blames diabetes. Could diabetes account for his poor behavior? (28 Feb 2007)

4. Why are women with pre-existing diabetes asked to take such high doses of folic acid during the pre-conceptional and early pregnancy periods? Do type 1 diabetics absorb less folic acid than non-diabetics? (27 Feb 2007)

5. My son's teacher has contacted CPS because of my son's behavior. She did not contact my son's doctors or me at all. Have you seen this happen before? (27 Feb 2007)

6. My young daughter has been potty trained during the day, but she still wets her bed at night. Sometimes, her blood sugars are in range; sometimes, she is high. How do I know if her urinating is related to her diabetes or merely that I am giving her too much to drink in the evening? (27 Feb 2007)

7. I am getting a divorce and my husband is losing his job. He wants me to get health insurance through my job, but it's too expensive. CIGNA won't cover my daughter. What can I do? (27 Feb 2007)

8. My son has been spilling ketones since falling ill recently, even with lower blood sugars. What do you think is happening? (26 Feb 2007)

9. My youngest son has type 1 and I tested positive for GAD-65. What is the chance I will develop type 1? Is there some way to prevent it? (26 Feb 2007)

10. Can a type 2 with hyperglycemia lose those nutrients in ICF and conserve those that are in ECF? (26 Feb 2007)

11. My toddler's blood sugar spikes very high after breakfast, then drops at lunch time. What should I do to prevent this? Are growth hormones making him high? (25 Feb 2007)

12. Although his blood sugars were elevated during his OGTT, my young son has had normal fasting blood sugars at home. Could the OGTT have had excess glucose that caused the blood sugar spikes? Do we still need to monitor our son's blood sugars? (23 Feb 2007)

13. In the seven days my daughter has been hospitalized since her diagnosis, we have yet to meet with a dietitian. Shouldn't we do so to help her regain the weight she lost? (23 Feb 2007)

14. My son's endocrinologist has suggested I get tested for MODY based on family history and my thin/normal weight. Knowing the tests are often inconclusive, what should I do? (22 Feb 2007)

15. The nurse at the endocrinologist's office says my teen son is bolusing too frequently, causing swings in his blood sugars. Could this be true? How often is too often? We got our son a pump to give him more freedom with his diet and insulin. (22 Feb 2007)

16. How should children with pre-diabetes be managed? (22 Feb 2007)

17. After four years with type 1, my young daughter is having high blood sugars around lunch time. Could she be dropping low, then rebounding? What do you suggest? (22 Feb 2007)

18. Is it safe for my daughter to give her injections through clothing? How can I get her to take better care of her diabetes? (22 Feb 2007)

19. Recently diagnosed, my teen son took insulin for one week only. He stopped taking it since he had normal blood sugars. Could he have a glutamine deficiency from intense bodybuilding instead of type 1? (21 Feb 2007)

20. When we check our daughter's blood sugars at home, her postprandials are high, but her fastings are normal. Our family doctor thinks that, for her, this could be normal. Is this possible? Is it okay to go over 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L] regularly? Could this just be a sign of a failing pancreas? (21 Feb 2007)

21. Why do people with type 2 have internal and external dryness? Are corns, calluses, and thick, dead skin also common for them? (21 Feb 2007)

22. If urine levels of pH, potassium and other minerals have been checked, evaluated and found abnormal in diabetics, especially when glucose levels are persistently uncontrolled, will this cause an increased craving for food? (19 Feb 2007)

23. A nurse/midwife has advised me not to conceive because of health risks for the baby. If I have in-range blood sugars, what are the risks to the baby? (19 Feb 2007)

24. My adult brother was diagnosed with type 1 three years ago. He is losing weight, has blurry vision, and little appetite. Could this be celiac? (19 Feb 2007)

25. Asymptomatic, my son's transglutaminase level was high. Is this an accurate test? Is a biopsy really necessary? (19 Feb 2007)

26. Where can we find a book for carbohydrate counting gluten-free food? (18 Feb 2007)

27. My grandson is a very picky eater and tends to want less healthy snacks. How can I encourage him and his family to make healthy food choices? (18 Feb 2007)

28. When do you know the honeymoon period is over? (18 Feb 2007)

29. My friend's 13-year-old daughter has erratic blood sugars. She smokes, drinks, and has used drugs in the past. Now, she is pregnant. What are the risks to her and the baby? What can we expect for possible complications for the teen mom and the unborn baby? (18 Feb 2007)

30. My young niece was just diagnosed with type 1. She has an abscessed tooth and needs general anesthesia to have it removed. How do you handle blood sugars for this? She has enamel defects, too. Is this related to celiac disease? (17 Feb 2007)

31. How likely will someone with hypothyroidism go on to develop type 1 diabetes? I know that people with type 1 can develop hypothyroidism, but I don't know about the reverse. (17 Feb 2007)

32. When an autoimmune attack takes place on the endocrine pancreas, are the alpha cells destroyed in addition to the beta cells? What cells make amylin? (17 Feb 2007)

33. Can you explain the exact meaning of the dawn phenomenon? What are the steps to follow to beat it? (17 Feb 2007)

34. Could you give me your opinion of my history and test results? I'm trying to find out what kind of glucose abnormality I have. (17 Feb 2007)

35. What are the possible glycogen storing and breakdown abnormalities in type 2 diabetics undergoing various types of treatment? (17 Feb 2007)

36. Given his behavior before meals, we suspect our son has hypoglycemia. He had a two hour glucose tolerance test with normal results. What else should we do? (16 Feb 2007)

37. For several years, my son has had headaches. Two years ago, he got glasses. Since his diagnosis with type 1, he stopped having headaches and no longer needs glasses. Could he have been diabetic all these years? (16 Feb 2007)

38. Is it really "safe" for small children with diabetes to run high blood sugars? (16 Feb 2007)

39. My toddler seems to develop ketones quite easily, though they are usually only trace to small. What causes them? How can we prevent them? (16 Feb 2007)

40. My son's endocrinologist ran a Clonidine Stem Test on my son to see if he should have a growth hormone. What is this test? (16 Feb 2007)

41. Since his recent diagnosis, my son has good blood sugars on Lantus once a day, but he has lost 11 pounds. Why can't he gain weight? He's tall and very thin. (16 Feb 2007)

42. Can exercising or losing more water in sweat or in urine make ECF more hypertonic and more harmful to hyperglycemic peoples? (16 Feb 2007)

43. Can the body system opt to maintain persisting hyperglycemia for its urgent energy requirements? How can controlling blood glucose to normal levels under above situation adversely affect the patient? (16 Feb 2007)

44. My daughter uses NovoNordisk penfills. Can I get them in the U.S.? We will be visiting there from Poland. (16 Feb 2007)

45. At 28 weeks, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, but I'm confused about my blood sugars. Can you help me understand them? Also, do you know why I might be feeling so hungry? I didn't experience this with my other pregnancies. (16 Feb 2007)

46. I have type 1 and am trying to conceive, in fact, may already have. I have had good control, but had an elevated blood sugar after lunch. Will this impact possible conception? (16 Feb 2007)

47. When ill, my son had elevated blood sugars and symptoms of diabetes. Now, he's asymptomatic. Is there any reason to worry? (16 Feb 2007)

48. If the school nurse uses hand sanitizer on my child before a blood sugar check, will the sanitizer affect the result? (16 Feb 2007)

49. My daughter has insulin resistance so her endocrinologist has placed her on a second pump to administer Symlin. Have you ever heard of this? What do you think about this? (16 Feb 2007)

50. At diagnosis, my son was told he could eat anything, including cake and chips, nothing like the "diabetic diet" I learned as a nurse. Is this okay? Will it come back to haunt him in the future? When he goes to college in the fall, how can he avoid viruses? Under the ADA, can he request a private room? (16 Feb 2007)

51. My older son had symptoms of diabetes and elevated blood sugars after starting on prednisolone. His younger brother was 7.4 mmol/L [133 mg/dl] fasting. Does the fact that there are two of them with mild elevations change my approach in any way? (15 Feb 2007)

52. My son was diagnosed early, with symptoms and positive GAD antibodies. We put him on a diet and exercise program and have not given him ANY insulin. My husband's endocrinologist, who is treating him, also suggested Januvia. Has this ever been used by those with type 1 or by children? Are there any risks to using this medication? Is it possible my son's insulin-producing cells will survive? (15 Feb 2007)

53. Now 12, my daughter is having high blood sugars. Is this related to puberty? Would a hormone/thyroid blood test confirm it's puberty? Would it help us control her blood sugars? (14 Feb 2007)

54. When she was younger, my daughter had ketones and a high blood sugar, but diabetes was ruled out. Now, she has a cataract. Could she have been developing diabetes slowly? Is the cataract related to possible diabetes? (14 Feb 2007)

55. I am experiencing nightly blood sugar increases that don't budge with corrections. Increased basals and correction rates haven't helped. What do you think is going on? (11 Feb 2007)

56. Which neuro-hormonal changes can be common in type 2 diabetics other than pancreatic hormones? Can aldosterone levels can be effected by persistent hyperglycemia? (11 Feb 2007)

57. For the first time since her diagnosis, my daughter is having blood sugars over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Is this related to her growth hormones kicking in? (9 Feb 2007)

58. My cousin's foster child is overweight and drinking a lot. The child has had some elevated blood sugars, but the pediatrician just laughed. Would it be wise to check the child's antibodies? How about an A1c? Should we worry about type 2? (8 Feb 2007)

59. Last week, my three year old was diagnosed with hyperglycemia. We were told to monitor her blood sugars and keep in touch with the endocrinologist who would advise when she'd need insulin. Are her slightly elevated blood sugars normal for the beginning of diabetes? (8 Feb 2007)

60. My granddaughter was recently diagnosed with type 1. How do we find caretakers for the summer months? My daughter and I both work. (8 Feb 2007)

61. How common is it for a child with type 1 diabetes, celiac, and Hashimoto's thyroiditis also to get Addison's disease? (8 Feb 2007)

62. Is there any research about twins and separation causing stress? My son with diabetes is depressed and having blood sugar control problems and I'm trying to determine if this is related to being separated from his brother at school. (8 Feb 2007)

63. I am about to adopt my younger siblings, one of whom has diabetes. Where can I learn how to take care of my brother's diabetes? (8 Feb 2007)

64. My son and I were tested for a TrialNet study. The results were negative. What does this mean? Could we still get type 1? (7 Feb 2007)

65. What are the recommended guidelines for the appropriate age for a child to change his or her own infusion site? (7 Feb 2007)

66. Can you tell me the relationship between beta cell dysfunction and MODY? Will I.V. immunoglobulin treatments work on my son because he has both MODY and a beta cell deficiency? (7 Feb 2007)

67. My son has developed high cholesterol. Is this normal for diabetic children? (7 Feb 2007)

68. I was checking my daughter's blood sugar for signs of hypoglycemia, but I now suspect hyperglycemia. What do you think? (6 Feb 2007)

69. I have always had trouble controlling my blood sugars. I have scarring from old scratches and old scars. What can I do to aid in the fading of the scars? (6 Feb 2007)

70. After 15 years with diabetes, I have some tingling in my feet. Is this reversible with better control and exercise? (6 Feb 2007)

71. Where can I find educational materials about diabetes in Arabic? (5 Feb 2007)

72. At a recent check-up, my daughter had glucose and ketones in her urine. Could this have been caused by the Singulair she has been taking? (5 Feb 2007)

73. My daughter has strep for the fifth time since November. Is this related to her diabetes? If she needs a tonsillectomy, how will her diabetes be affected? (5 Feb 2007)

74. My young teen daughter has been on lisinopril for two years due to elevated microalbumin levels. Based on her current laboratory results, will she progress to end-stage renal disease at some point? (5 Feb 2007)

75. Is Coke Zero bad for me even though it says there is no sugar in it? (5 Feb 2007)

76. My son seems to have a problem with insulin absorption, having high blood sugars after 30 hours per infusion site. Is this a common problem? What do you recommend? (5 Feb 2007)

77. What does it mean if your child has a negative test for celiac? Could they still get it later? (5 Feb 2007)

78. Is the loss of potassium and magnesium through urination, due to hyperglycemia, the reason people with diabetes overeat? (5 Feb 2007)

79. My toddler has had two seizures. During the second one, her blood sugar was 20 mg/dl [1.1 mmol/L]. Is this hypoglycemia? Could she have experienced permanent brain damage? Did the seizure cause the low or the low cause the seizure? (1 Feb 2007)

80. Can Benadryl cause my blood sugar to skyrocket? (1 Feb 2007)

81. I am a vegetarian, but my mom wants me to eat white meat to prevent diabetes. Do I need to eat meat to avoid diabetes? Is there any other way to prevent it? (1 Feb 2007)

82. I have had type 1 for over three years and was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have good control. If I take care of myself, will my pancreas eventually stop working? (1 Feb 2007)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts