From California, USA:

My mother is a licensed vocational nurse and advises me to switch from my vegetarian diet to an all white meat diet to lower the risk of getting diabetes. Most of the members of my family over the age of 40 are getting diagnosed with diabetes. I am well aware of the balance that must kept in my body, however I wish to remain a true vegetarian for environmental and spiritual reasons. Is there no other way than to subject myself to the consumption of meat or is there away to help better my chances of avoiding the disease without giving up my lifestyle?

If you are talking about type 1 diabetes, then diet changes for diabetes prevention likely make no difference.

If you are talking about type 2 diabetes, there should be nothing wrong with a vegetarian diet. The issues with type 2 diabetes likely revolve more around total calories and obesity than the actual source of those calories. But, if you are heavy, it might be wise to cut back on the carbohydrates, perhaps especially the processed, high-glycemic index carbohydrates.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Other