Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

I am a type 1 diabetic with a 5.5 A1c as of two weeks ago. I am 30 years old and trying to get pregnant, which I may be. At lunch today, I obviously overate because after lunch, my blood sugar was 207 mg/dl [11.5 mmol/L], which is unusually high for me. While I know that this is not the end of the world usually, this is right at the time that conception would occur so I am particularly concerned. Will a couple of hours of high sugar impact any possible conception that might be occurring right now? Or, is the fact that the tight control I have had leading up until now enough to make the couple of hours not the end of the world? I took a correction shot and brought it down within three hours.

Answer:

A transient hyperglycemic event probably will not impact a pregnancy this early, assuming that you are even pregnant. Continuing to maintain the good glucose control that you have will optimize your chances of a successful pregnancy.

Posted to Pregnancy