From Arvada, Colorado, USA:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 on January 24, 2007 and is honeymooning, taking 15 units of Lantus in the morning. His blood sugar levels are right on goal, if not a little low. His fasting averages 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L] and post dinner (his biggest meal) is averaging 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. The problem is that since his diagnosis, he has lost 11 pounds. At 6 feet tall, he now weighs 127 pounds. He doesn't look ill, but is very thin. He really wants to gain weight and I would like to see him gain some weight. Why can't he? The doctor has him on unlimited diet and actually increased his calories and carbohydrates. He eats like I've never seen a kid eat!

I suggest you look for other issues that occur with diabetes, including celiac disease, thyroid problems or a problem with his adrenal gland. Sometimes they restrict the diet more than you think to avoid the hyperglycemia and the need for rapid-acting insulin.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Other