Question:

From Boston, Massachusetts, USA:

My son has suffered with headaches since he was five years old. He was worked up and down with no definitive diagnosis. During his annual physical two years ago, his vision test was perfect. However, he continued to squint, so I took him to an optometrist who prescribed glasses for distance. Since being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, my son no longer suffers from headaches and no longer requires his glasses. Could he have been diabetic all these years?

Answer:

It is not likely, but possible, that his pancreas was intermittently working and not working. With such intermittent sugar fluctuations, this could have changed the function of the lens and produced transient visual disturbances.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Aches and Pains