Question:

From Syracuse, New York, USA:

My grandson is a very picky eater and tends to want salty snacks and sugary foods instead of healthy ones. How can I encourage him and his family to make healthy food choices?

Answer:

The best way to encourage healthy food choices for youngsters is to provide and eat healthy foods and model those behaviors for others. If youngsters with diabetes are exposed to healthy food choices at a young age, nutrition choices tend to be better as they grow. Follow the food guide pyramid and provide foods from all of the various components: whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy and yogurt, lean meats and proteins, and healthy fats.

JMS