Question:

From Ohio, USA:

My son has had type 1 diabetes for almost five years and was just diagnosed with celiac disease. We have always been fairly comfortable with carbohydrate counting until recent months when his A1C went high (11.1), so we were rethinking everything. We are told by the gastrointestinal doctor that the celiac would cause the high blood sugar numbers due to the stress on the damaged intestines. This brings me back to carbohydrate counting. Do you know if there is a book for carbohydrate counting on gluten-free food? All of the books that we previously used are obsolete. I am worried about misjudging the higher carbohydrate food. We have seen much better blood sugar numbers since putting him on a gluten-free diet, except for where I have miscalculated (guessed) at some of these new foods.

Answer:

With regards to a resource for carbohydrate counting and gluten free foods, the same resources for regular food can be used for gluten free foods. Since most gluten-free prepackaged foods have labels, you can obtain nutrition information from the food label. You may also want to check out the gluten-free resources on our web site.

JMS