Question:

From Avoca, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 44-year-old brother is having extreme difficulties with his diabetes. He has been hospitalized several times in the past few months after passing out at work and at home. One time, his blood sugar level was 9 mg/dl [0.5 mmol/L]. His feet always hurt him and sometimes they swell up. He also has blurry vision. My concern is his extreme weight loss. He is 5 feet, 7 inches and weighs 113 pounds. He was diagnosed three years ago and has lost over 65 pounds. He looks so old and weathered. He has no energy and is tired all the time; a trip to the doctor's wears him out. He is trying everything to feel better and following his doctor's advice, but still losing weight, as well his appetite. My mother says he's eating (he lives with my parents) and can't understand the weight loss. Could this be celiac?

Answer:

It could be celiac disease, which is common in type 1 diabetes. His age, over 40 years old is atypical, but not impossible for type 1 diabetes. The physicians have to find out why he can't eat and why his therapy will not allow his blood sugars to come into control. I cannot tell if this is just diabetes, diabetes with complications, or diabetes associated with another disease.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Celiac