Question:

From Dickinson, Texas, USA:

A six-year-old female student has insulin dependent diabetes. Her sugar levels are ranging between 45 mg/dl [2.5 mmol/L] and 306 mg/dl [17.0 mmol/L] in a single day. What is a meal plan or snack that would benefit this child? Someone on campus says we should have protein available, such as tuna and canned chicken. We, as concerned staff and individuals, would like to help this child and see that she is getting the best care possible.

Answer:

I would ask that you follow-up with the parent or caregiver and inquire if she possesses or has knowledge of a carbohydrate counting based meal plan. If not, I would recommend that she and her parent/caregiver schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who can individualize a meal plan for her diabetes to help eliminate some of the variations in blood sugars. Her physician can help the parent/caregiver with a referral to a registered dietitian, if needed. Meal planning is just as important a factor in succeeding with diabetes as taking insulin injections, exercise, and frequent self blood glucose monitoring.

JMS