Question:

From Madison, Alabama, USA:

I am a school nurse and had a student yesterday who was shaky with frequent urination and increased thirst. I check her blood sugar with a meter that I keep for other diabetics and her blood sugar read 414 mg/dl [23 mmol/L], twice. I called the grandmother to pick her up and take her to the Pediatric Emergency Room. When grandmother arrived, I checked the child's blood sugar again and it was 116 mg/dl [6.4 mmol/L]. The family did not take her to a doctor and I am not sure how aggressive I need to be to make them see someone. Do you think this is indicative of diabetes even though her blood sugar was normal two hours after it was high?

Answer:

I would once again talk with the family and ask them to review your findings with their pediatrician. If, however, you believe there is medical neglect and/or the child is in danger, I would review your findings with your local child protection team.

Posted to Other and Diagnosis and Symptoms