Question:

From Ennis, Ireland:

I am taking long acting insulin once a day and short acting insulin before every meal. Is an insulin pump for me?

Answer:

It depends on many factors but, to summarize, the main factor is the quality of your life as a young adolescent person. If, on current therapy, the degree of your metabolic control is fine (A1c lower than 6.5% and you have quite stable blood sugar levels with no serious low blood sugar episodes), you might want to switch to a pump to get even better control or to handle a type of life that you couldn't adopt with the less flexible subcutaneous insulin therapy. If the current metabolic control is not the best, then the pump could help you obtain better metabolic control.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Daily Care