Question:

From Nashville, Georgia, USA:

My six-year-old son has had a few of the typical diabetes symptoms. A random CBC showed his blood glucose level to be 156 mg/dl [8.7 mmol/L]. I obtained a monitor and have been checking his blood sugar randomly for the past two weeks. Two hours after meals, his blood sugar is around 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] to 160 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L]. Even when it's been three to five hours after meals, his blood sugar is around 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. I've checked it first thing in the morning, before breakfast and it's been 86 mg/dl [4.8 mmol/L] and 92 mg/dl [5.1 mmol/L]. Yesterday, at the doctor's office, two hours after a snack, it was 142 mg/dl [7.9 mmol/L]. Does this indicate high blood sugar? Does it appear to be diabetes based on the blood glucose levels?

Answer:

It sounds like early diabetes. If he is overweight, it could be a form of type 2 in childhood; if not overweight, it is likely an early phase of diabetes. He should be seen by a pediatric diabetologist.