Question:

From Oshawa, Ontario, Canada:

My fifteen-year-old son has been told he has low blood sugar level, 3.1 mmol//L [56 mg/dl]. This came about after we took him to the doctor as he was complaining about his vision "going in and out" (eye exam done), his colour was often pale, he was complaining of being cold and was always asking for Gravol for an upset stomach. He would eat nonstop (we joked that he had a tape worm) and only drink water. It was not termed hypoglycemia, just low blood sugar. From the research I have been doing I suspect it would be the same, hypoglycemia. We are trying to work on a diet for him that will work for him. He is very active in sports. Where can I go to find the proper foods and diet? There was no mention of diabetes

Answer:

Hypoglycemia and low blood sugar are the same terms. He should be evaluated by a pediatric endocrinologist with special attention to monitoring and to his food intake. Usually, three meals and three snacks with avoidance of simple carbohydrates (fruit, juice, soda, candy) and always providing some protein/fat for snack and meal works about 90% of the time. Once you are evaluated, perhaps by the folks at Sick Kids in Toronto, then you can work with a pediatric dietitian to learn more about the diet/meal plan. Some decision about follow-up and monitoring is also important since some cases of hypoglycemia are the forerunners to frank diabetes.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Meal Planning, Food and Diet