From Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA:

My 10-year-old diabetic son has seasonal allergies during which time his blood sugar goes way out of control. He's given Bendaryl as needed. It seems as though we use about 150% of his normal daily insulin during the Springtime. Is this normal? Is there any way to minimize his insulin adjustments? What about different allergy medication?

Seasonal allergies can be challenging. There are several 24-hour antihistamines such as Claritin or Zyrtec which should provide better long-term treatment for his allergies rather than using Benadryl which can make him sleepy. I would advise that you to discuss this with your pediatrician. Regarding diabetes care, allergies that are not well controlled can lead to higher blood sugars. I would reevaluate your insulin dosing now and after he gets his allergies under improved control.

Posted to Insulin and Other