Question:

From Boyceville, Wisconsin, USA:

My daughter may have had gestational diabetes with both her sons. The last one was two weeks late and was 10.5 pounds when born. She said they told her that she had high blood sugar, but only checked ketones. We do have family history of diabetes. Her uncle, great great grandmother, and cousins all have/had it. If she did not get treated for gestational diabetes, would my grandson show signs of diabetes? He seems to be excessively thirsty and LOVES sweets, mostly chocolate. Sometimes, he seems kind of lethargic. Her first son was about 9 pounds and has no cravings for sweets.

Answer:

Interesting question. I don't know why your grandson likes sweets. The relationship between sweets and diabetes is a common misconception. That said, gestational diabetes and being overweight in general are thought to be risk factors for the child to develop diabetes in the future.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other