Question:

From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

I have been married to a man for four years. He has a set of twins that are 10 years old and they are both diabetics. I also have an eight-year-old daughter from a previous marriage. Last year, my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I am having a hard time understanding how three children in one house, with no biological connection, could have diabetes. Is there any way my daughter's diabetes could have been triggered by her sticking herself accidentally with one of the others' used needles? Or, is there any other possible way she could have contracted this disease from them? Could she have been given something to trigger this? Is there any way whatsoever? I am just searching for answers.

Answer:

It is not possible to catch diabetes from someone else. Being in close proximity to someone does not increase your chance of getting diabetes. Your daughter's diabetes is not caused by living with or getting a needle poke from any other child with diabetes.