Question:

From Orono, Maine, USA:

My five-year-old daughter has been invited to participate in the TrialNet Prevention Study Oral Insulin for Prevention of Diabetes in Relatives at Risk for Type 1 Diabetes. I have not been able to find out much information on oral insulin tablets in order to research potential side effects. Can you direct me to such research or give me advise on the safety of this product?

Answer:

This is far too complicated to answer by e-mail. You should ask such important questions to your pediatric diabetes team and also to those who are involved with this intervention trial so that you are very knowledgeable about the research question, the potential risks and the potential benefits about this or any other such research studies. If you go to PubMed, you can search for published medical articles on oral insulin and prevention trials.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes