From Ventura, California, USA:

This is a follow-up to a previous question I asked regarding my daughter who was just diagnosed three weeks ago. She currently is on no insulin and the endocrinologist is admitting to being surprised and perplexed that her glucose levels are quite normal. He said that in 25 years of practice, he has never seen anyone in the true "honeymoon" period. Do you think this is because he is not a pediatric endocrinologist? She tested negative for the antibodies. I know it is a wait and see game. I asked if he would run a C-Peptide test on her and he said it would be useless at this point since her levels are normal. Do you think I should push for this test? Also, he said we don't need to be doing frequent testing right now, maybe once every other day. I guess I'm still questioning whether or not she even has type 1 and wishing there were a test that could positively identify it (or not!). Should I get her into see a pediatric endocrinologist?

To complicate matters, my 12-year-old son has a dysmetabolic syndrome also, but he makes too much insulin. I'm wondering if they need to do some genetic tests. My three younger children all have physicals (scheduled prior to this diabetes diagnosis) coming up. Should I suggest that the pediatrician run screening tests on them as well?

I don't understand why someone would see an adult endocrinologist where you live when there are at least 20 excellent pediatric diabetologists within an hour of your locale. C-peptide would only help if you were in a research study; otherwise it is not an interpretable test. If she really has diabetes, then not testing is not usually wise advice. Were it my child, I would go to the nearest pediatric diabetes specialist.

[Editor's comment: With respect to your younger children, you may want to discuss TrialNet participation with a pediatric endocrinologist. He/she should be able to advise you. BH]