Question:

From Charlotte, North Carolina, USA:

I had contacted you a year ago concerning my son and now I am concerned about my daughter. My son has been diagnosed with hyperglycemia with no known cause and is managed with diet and periodic physician checks. My husband was diagnosed with type 2 about two years ago and I had gestational with both the pregnancies. I was insulin dependent and diagnosed at 11 weeks when pregnant with my daughter. She is now four and has been potty trained for more than a year.

About three months ago, when she turned four, she decided she wanted to go to bed without a "pull-up." She did great for a couple of months, but, since then, is wetting every night and really soaking, too. Her urine smells so strong you can smell it before you get to her room. This morning, I was testing my son's fasting and decided to test hers, too. It was 121 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], a little high for fasting, I thought. We then started to think about her being hungry all the time into the night. She claims she's starving and sneaking drinks even when I've cut her off at night in the hopes that she might stay dry. She is very active and very tall for her age and in the 90th percentile for weight, too, but by no means is she overweight. What do you think we should do? Should we go to the pediatrician first or straight to the endocrinologist that our son already sees?

Answer:

The endocrinologist who knows you, your family and your son's history would be my suggestion, with a profile of pre-meal plus one hour post-meal blood glucose readings for three or four days to review.