From Tampa, Florida, USA:

My child has been in rather decent control for the past year or so including good A1c ranges. Just recently, my child was hospitalized for rotavirus. Since being discharged about three weeks ago, the blood sugar numbers seem to be running higher. We have increased insulin doses and are still seeing a more stubborn absorption rate. Could the illness have caused further islet destruction, if there were any left? Is it common for toddlers to have higher blood sugar numbers after recovering from an illness/hospital stay?

I do wonder if the last of islet cells are gone now. It was a stress to be ill. Likewise, the gut is damaged by the illness making food intake and glucose creation much different. I would continue to monitor, follow the sugars and treat as directed by the doctor. I have said before, and say again, that I honor the dedication of parents as they work from day to day to manage diabetes.