Question:

From Redding, California, USA:

I am losing my Healthy Families and CCS coverage because our family gross income is just over the limit. Insurance coverage through our employer cost $10 more than we are paying now and does not cover much. We are looking for other insurance or foundations that might help us.

Answer:

I wonder if you are writing off your eligibility in CCS too hastily? For the sake of our other readers, let me explain that Healthy Families is the California version of the federally funded child health insurance program and is available in other states. CCS is a California state program that treats children with certain physical limitations and chronic health conditions or diseases, including diabetes. CCS can authorize and pay for specific medical services and equipment provided by CCS-approved specialists. The California Department of Health Services manages the CCS program. Participation in CCS has income requirements or is used in tandem with the Healthy Families program. But, children can participate in CCS without participation in Healthy Families. Further, there is an exception to the income guidelines when the out-of-pocket medical expenses for a child who qualifies are expected to be more than 20 percent of family income. I encourage you to contact CCS and work with them to develop a realistic estimate of your child's care to see if the CCS portion of your coverage can be continued. As for the other needs in obtaining health insurance, I would suggest reviewing the Consumer Guides for Getting and Keeping Health Insurance produced by the Georgetown University School for Health Policy.

DSH

Posted to Insurance/Costs