Question:

From Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA:

Is diabetes, type 1 or type 2, always hereditary?

Answer:

Most who develop type 2 diabetes can point to a group of family members with diabetes. Only some with type 1 can do so. We know diabetes develops in people at risk, but not all at risk develop diabetes.

There are tests that can determine risk for type 1. They are too expensive to offer everyone. We usually do them in the context of a research study. TrialNet is one such study for relatives of a patient with type 1.

I would say to someone to look around your family for type 2. I would also say to every one: be active every day and watch your weight to prevent type 2.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity