Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 2007

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. With high urine ketones and glucose, our daughter was diagnosed with diabetes by our doctor, but the hospital didn't agree. She remains symptomatic. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? (31 May 2007)

2. If a 2 ounce serving of pasta is 42 grams of carbohydrates and contains 5 grams of dietary fiber, how do I calculate the bolus amount? I don't understand what a digestible carbohydrate is. (31 May 2007)

3. Symptomatic for diabetes, my daughter had a negative urine test. Does this mean she definitely does not have diabetes? (31 May 2007)

4. I take promethazine and Reglan for gastroparesis, which is causing me digestive difficulties and, in turn, blood sugar excursions. Recently, my BUN was low. Is this because of my digestive difficulties? (31 May 2007)

5. Our six-year-old daughter, who has type 1, has mood swings like a teen going through puberty. Are you aware of other children with diabetes who have experienced this? (30 May 2007)

6. In general, how often do children test their blood sugars? My daughter has been testing eight to 10 times a day, but is starting to balk at that much testing. Her diabetes team said four or five times should be fine, as long as she tests before eating and can tell when her blood sugar is low. (30 May 2007)

7. I got a whole life insurance policy for my daughter about two years ago. She was recently diagnosed with type 1. Do I need to notify the insurance company of this? Is the policy still valid now that my daughter has diabetes? (30 May 2007)

8. I take 10 or 11 units of Humalog three times a day, plus four or five more units at bedtime. Is this a lot of Humalog compared to others? (30 May 2007)

9. We recent bought a hot tub and plan to limit our son's time in it to 15 minutes. Is there a blood sugar range we should aim for before he gets in? (29 May 2007)

10. Did the state of Indiana recently pass legislation regarding diabetic children? (29 May 2007)

11. I have type 2 and am pregnant for the second time. If I choose not to breast feed my child, what are the chances he will develop type 1 diabetes as a child? Does breast feeding really make a difference in babies born to diabetic mothers? (29 May 2007)

12. Arrested for a bomb threat, my daughter was not allowed to take her meter to the station and later felt low. What can we do about the way she was treated? (29 May 2007)

13. As a relatively new pumper, I'm having bad pain when I put in my infusion sets and when I bolus. What do you suggest? (29 May 2007)

14. Is there a diabetes meter which can be connected to a phone line to transfer the patient data to a web site where they are compared with normal measurements? (26 May 2007)

15. Is it possible to experience high blood sugars and moderate to large ketones for no reason? Could this be because my son has begun puberty? (26 May 2007)

16. Is it safe to do an injection into muscle to bring down a blood sugar more rapidly? (26 May 2007)

17. Diagnosed at one, my eight-year-old has had symptoms of neuropathy for a year. One neurologist has diagnosed her with it. Is this possible? What will happen to her in the future? How can we prevent future damage? (25 May 2007)

18. At the ER for a fever, my daughter had a blood sugar of 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. The doctor said it was probably from the apple juice and said we didn't need to worry. Does this make sense? (25 May 2007)

19. Our son, who has type 1 and celiac, has been sneaking foods, including those with gluten, without telling us. Is this behavior normal? Does he need counseling? (25 May 2007)

20. My A1c was 5.2, but my averages are much higher. If I do have a "falsely" low A1c and am having highs, would these highs not do any damage anyway because of the low blood count and low A1c? (25 May 2007)

21. Is it safe to give Lantus to a toddler? Assuming a negative GAD test means he doesn't have type 1, how do we treat our toddler? Is it safe to give him a chromium supplement? (24 May 2007)

22. What is the blood sugar range for people with diabetes? I've read that the range for "normal" people is between 3.5 mmol/L [63 mg/dl] and 6.5 mmol/L [117 mg/dl]. (24 May 2007)

23. In recent blood work, my potassium level was high. What could cause this? (22 May 2007)

24. Can hyperglycemia and insulin cause blood flow variations? If yes, how? (22 May 2007)

25. After a recent hospital admission with vomiting, fever and high C-reactive protein, my adolescent daughter is now losing large amounts of hair when she brushes. Could this have been more of a inflammatory problem rather than an infection? (22 May 2007)

26. The doctor diagnosed my adult daughter with diabetes and gave her Avandaryl. But, an endocrinologist told her to take insulin, as if it were type 1, even though he thinks she has type 2. If he thinks it's type 2, why treat her for type 1? Is there a test to determine which type of diabetes she has? (22 May 2007)

27. Today, the school said my son no longer meets eligibility requirements for a 504 because of changes in the law and that all he needs is an Individualized Health Plan. Is my son still protected? (21 May 2007)

28. Laboratory testing indicated my daughter has celiac, but she has no symptoms. Is it safe for her to eat small amounts of gluten? Her diabetes doctor said it was okay. (20 May 2007)

29. Diagnosed two weeks ago, my toddler's blood sugar is often lower than 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] in the morning. Is this the "honeymoon?" Should I be concerned if he doesn't need short acting insulin for some meals? (19 May 2007)

30. I was diagnosed with type 2 last year. A nurse said I could be "diabetes-free" if I were to lose weight. Is this true? (19 May 2007)

31. The pediatrician advised periodic blood sugar checks for my daughter who has some of the symptoms of diabetes. Could she have pre-diabetes? What should I do? (18 May 2007)

32. Why does my daughter's blood sugar level seem to go up at night? She's fine at bedtime, but goes high and stays high even with a correction dose. (16 May 2007)

33. Where can I find software compatible with Mac OSX for blood glucose meters? (16 May 2007)

34. Why is it that children with type 1 experience a drop in their blood sugar so fast with exercise while non-diabetic kids don't? (16 May 2007)

35. Are you aware of any public education programs in place at federal or state levels that would help co-workers know how to help a person with diabetes in life threatening situations? (16 May 2007)

36. Since my diagnosis 14 months ago, I have gained 25 pounds despite following a diet and exercising. Could insulin be causing my weight gain? (14 May 2007)

37. Despite having in-range blood sugars, which were confirmed by a continuous sensor, my daughter's A1c was 14. Where can we find out why this is happening? (14 May 2007)

38. What is the margin of error for CGMS systems? During my daughter's use of one of the systems, we are seeing wide disparities between the CGMS and glucose meter readings. (14 May 2007)

39. My stomach is displaced from earlier Roux-en-Y surgery. Since December, I've had constant pain, sometimes burning, under my right lower rib. Is this gastroparesis? (14 May 2007)

40. Is the A1c affected most by transient high readings of greater than 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] that are corrected quickly or more frequent levels of less than 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] that persist for several hours? (14 May 2007)

41. Since her diagnosis in March, my daughter's insulin needs have dropped drastically, to the point where the doctor is unsure she has type 1 or MODY. Could this be the honeymoon? (13 May 2007)

42. How can I convince my insurance carrier that the OmniPod would help me stay healthy and would help me avoid frequent lows? They have denied me coverage for the device. (12 May 2007)

43. Where can my sister-in-law find information on nonconventional ways to treat her son's type 1 diabetes? If one's blood sugar is in range, why don't you dose insulin later, after the blood sugar has gone up? How do we determine the number of carbohydrates my nephew should be consuming? (12 May 2007)

44. My daughter might have IBD. Is this common for those with type 1 diabetes? Should she be on a particular diet? (9 May 2007)

45. Is it possible for sugar to build up in your system and release later? My stepson ate a lot of junk food at his mom's. Many hours later, his blood sugar was very high. What could have caused this? (9 May 2007)

46. Our insurance company will cover only three test strips per day for my son's meter, but will pay for more strips of another brand. Is this common? (9 May 2007)

47. According to my diabetes educator, I cannot go on a pump before my blood sugars are stabilized. Why is this? (9 May 2007)

48. Since I had gestational diabetes before, I started checking my blood sugars at six weeks. My fasting blood sugars are from 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L] to 145 mg/dl [8.1 mmol/L]. Could I have gestational diabetes this early? (9 May 2007)

49. I am on NPH and Humalog for type 2. The NPH covers my dawn phenomenon well, but the NP wants me to switch to Lantus. Can Lantus control the dawn phenomenon? When should I be checking my blood sugars? (9 May 2007)

50. My teen son's blood sugar is usually normal, but four hours after meals, it is often elevated. He is quite stressed. Is this related to diabetes? (8 May 2007)

51. Diagnosed with type 2 six months ago, my daughter had an elevated microalbumin level. Is this normal for someone so newly diagnosed? Could it be unrelated to diabetes? (8 May 2007)

52. Five years ago, I gave birth to a large baby. She continues to be big. Could she have inherited my insulin resistance? I was just diagnosed with it last year. (7 May 2007)

53. I have been diagnosed with hyperinsulinism and take metformin. My insulin level is still quite high. What can I do to bring it down? (7 May 2007)

54. Just diagnosed with type 2, I have been put on Glucophage. I was told not to exercise when my blood sugar is elevated. Could you explain this better? (7 May 2007)

55. Does Glucophage (metformin) lower postprandial glucose levels or only fasting levels? I sometimes have elevated postprandial blood sugars so my doctor suggested Glucophage. Would this be helpful? (7 May 2007)

56. I have CFRD. Why are my blood sugars higher when I take albuterol or Pulmozyme? If I need I.V. antibiotics, will I need more insulin? Why did I get diabetes? (6 May 2007)

57. If I take metformin while I am breast feeding, what effects, if any, will there be on my baby? (6 May 2007)

58. My teen daughter will be attending church camp this summer. They say she must keep all her medications at the health center. Is there any law to allow her to have her supplies with her? (4 May 2007)

59. Where can I get a cable to allow download my son's OneTouch Ultra to the Medtronic site? (4 May 2007)

60. Despite her symptoms, my daughter's medical team is not concerned about her blood sugars and symptoms. Should I see about taking her to a pediatric endocrinologist that specializes in diabetes? (4 May 2007)

61. Even though she is on insulin, my niece's blood sugars are usually around 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L], which my brother says is okay. How do I convince him otherwise? (4 May 2007)

62. With diet and exercise, I have relatively good control of my diabetes except for elevated fasting blood sugars. Would the use of long-acting insulin, such as Lantus, be beneficial? I am reluctant to use oral medications due to their side effects. (4 May 2007)

63. Do children with type 1 diabetes have more of a problem with head lice? (3 May 2007)

64. My daughter has had some of the symptoms of diabetes and has had a blood sugar as high as 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L]. Should I be concerned? Could she be pre-diabetic? (3 May 2007)

65. At a follow-up appointment for his recently broken leg, my nephew had a fasting blood sugar in the 400s mg/dl [over 22.2 mmol/L]. Could the high blood sugar be from the break? He has had nocturia and increased thirst. (1 May 2007)

66. I am concerned about my grandson, who has lost weight, drinks constantly and is hungry. He even vomited first thing this morning. How can I convince our son-in-law to take care of his son? Am I right to suspect diabetes? (1 May 2007)

67. Why can't one use a pump site for more than three days? Does scar tissue build up? Does the insulin damage the tissue? What about CGMS sensors? Can they be used for more than three days? Are there any long-term effects? (1 May 2007)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts