Question:

From Joliet, Illinois, USA:

Do children with type 1 diabetes have more of a problem with head lice? I have been dealing with lice on my daughter since last July, coming up on a year. My younger daughter without diabetes has had only one case and has been clear since. I think we are rid of them for a month or two only have them return. She gets hundreds of them before she itches. My theory is that the extra sugar in her blood attracts them. Is there any research to prove this? It is driving me crazy!

Answer:

Sorry, there is no research either way.

As a pediatrician, I will tell you there are places and children who seem to be plagued with them. Is it going around the school, etc. and someone isn't treating it well? That is the likely problem. Drives moms crazy.