Question:

From Melbourne, Victoria, Australia:

My diabetes educator has recently put me on the waiting list at the hospital for an insulin pump. I talked to the educator today and she said I need to get my blood sugar levels stabilized before starting a pump. For the last month, they have been up and down quite a bit. Why do my blood sugar levels need to be better before going on an insulin pump?

Answer:

One of the questions the diabetes provider will have to answer is what is a reasonable insulin requirement at the time you are placed on the pump. An overstatement of your requirements may put you at risk for low blood sugars while an understatement of your requirements will put you at risk for high blood sugars. If you can come to a better understanding of what your requirements are, with good blood sugars, the transition to pump therapy will be smoother and more efficient.

Posted to Insulin Pumps