From Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA:

Is it possible for sugar to build up in your system and release later? All my stepson ate during visitation with his mother was junk food (pudding snacks, cheese crackers, fruit snacks, Jello snacks, sweetened cereal, macaroni and cheese and SpaghettiO's). His levels while with her for a 24 hour period ranged from 89 mg/dl [4.9 mmol/L] to 307 mg/dl [17.1 mmol/L]. Her last reading was 89 mg/dl [4.9 mmol/L]. When we checked him one and a half hours later, he was 117 mg/dl [6.5 mmol/L]. Before dinner, another hour later, he was up to 226 mg/dl [12.6 mmol/L] and he had no carbohydrates since returning home. At dinner, he had only approximately seven grams of carbohydrates. We gave him his correction factor and when we checked him before bedtime, he was 425 mg/dl [23.6 mmol/L]! Why would he go so high?

Yes, it may be possible for the body to build up sugar to be stored as glycogen and this may be released later especially when you eat a lot of junk food. I also think it almost impossible to give you any further advice on how to control your stepson's blood sugar fluctuations with no information regarding his therapy.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA